ingraham high school | seattle public schools
Ingraham High School was Seattle’s first International Baccalaureate Program school, and one of only 18 currently in Washington State. To achieve accreditation for this prestigious program, the school needed to have state-of-the-art library and science facilities.
The District selected Rolluda Architects to assist them in the renovation and 5,650 square foot addition to this 1959 high school.
The library expansion created a more open and airy space, filled with natural light from a two-story window wall and clerestory windows. The courtyard off the library, with its new landscaping and seating, is an inviting outdoor space where students can gather and study.
A computer lab, casual reading area, conference rooms and office were also added.
The science wing was modernized and classrooms enlarged to accommodate current and future technology. A new multipurpose classroom was added to provide flexibility for team teaching and group projects, along with a new greenhouse, with interior and exterior planting areas and work spaces. Doors and relites between the science classrooms and the greenhouse bring in natural light and provide views and access between spaces.
Rolluda Architect’s design integrated the additions into the existing building with prominent vaulted rooflines at the library and science wings, reflecting the importance of these programs in the curriculum.