louisa hotel | the woo family
The former Louisa Hotel was built in 1910 with retail spaces at street level and two floors of SRO style housing. It will be converted into 84 apartments, with 16 units added with a rooftop addition. On Christmas Eve of 2013 a fire damaged the three-story masonry building. The fire left the building in danger of collapse. Much of it was demolished and what remained underwent seismic retrofitting. Only the east side and the facades on Seventh Avenue South and South King Street remain. There will be up to 10 commercial spaces in the rehabbed building. Studio apartments will be 270 to 400 square feet and the one-bedrooms will be
450 to 550 square feet. A roof deck and private decks for some units are planned, and a 25-car garage in the basement.