ellensburg northern pacific railroad depot renovation | historic ellensburg
The Ellensburg Railroad Depot was built by the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1910, the heyday of passenger rail service. By 1981, passenger service through Ellensburg had ended. By the mid ’80s the Depot had seriously deteriorated and demolition was considered, but due to an intense public outcry it has been purchased by the City of Ellensburg and placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A preservation plan was prepared to identify the work and resources necessary to return the depot to useful service and to identify new economically viable adaptive uses to sustain the building into the foreseeable future. Possible uses that are being considered are restaurant/bar, community hall, museum/exhibit hall, gallery, office, retail, storage, and transportation terminal.